Welcome to the City of Rye, NY
Receive Community Alerts Instantly
Sign up at Nixle.com today. It's quick, easy and secure
FOIL Procedures Effective May 1, 2013
RFP Blind Brook Watershed Study
2013 Annual Budget
Rye Golf Club 2013 Budget Information
Upper Pond Resizing Presentation
Joint City Council & Board of Ed Resolution
Rye City School District Proposed Project
Rye Historical Fact
- Benjamin Franklin developed the system of milestones for the Boston Post Road marking the distance from lower Manhattan. Three milestones, #24, 25 and 26, still exist in Rye.
- The first Rye settlers came from Greenwich in 1660. They bought Manursing Island from the Siwanoy for 8 coats, 7 shirts and 15 fathom of wampum.
- Rye was part of Connecticut in the late 1600s. The New York/Connecticut boarder dispute wasn’t settled until 1731.
- George Washington stayed at the Square House (known as “Widow Haviland’s”) twice in 1789. He called it “a very neat and decent inn”.
- John Adams and his cousin Samuel stopped at the Square House in 1774 on their way to the First Continental Congress in Philadelphia.
- The first village square was located across from the Square House and was where the local militia trained. Criminals were punished there in stockades and a whipping post.
- Purchase St. wasn’t paved until 1912. To keep the dust down, the Village Improvement Association used sprinkling carts to spray water on the street.
- When the Square House became the Village Hall in 1904, Rye’s population was 3,500. The Square House remained the Village Hall until 1964 when City Hall was built.
- The railroad came to Rye in 1849. Before that, the most efficient mode of transportation was on the water.
- The Rye Arts Center building at 51 Milton Road was built in 1788 as the second Episcopal Church, replacing the original church that burned during the Revolution.